BERNICE HORSTEN office@carinthia-appartements.at A-9822 Mallnitz 126
Tel:  +43 4784 450
  • German
  • Dutch
  • English
Home

History of Mallnitz

 

The history of Mallnitz is tightly connected with
its geographical position. Already since millenniums the alpine passes
near Mallnitz were used as transit routes, first findings date back to
5,000 years from now. The first ones to settle in the region were the
Celts in the 3rd century BC. Findings of Celtic silver coins on both
sides of the Mallnitz Tauern testify to the existence of trade transit
routes. In the 2nd century BC the Romans used the Mallnitz Tauern as
important transit route; Roman generals ordered the construction of the
first mountain passes. The invasion of the Slaves around 600 AC brought
the Roman hegemony to an end. The name Mallnitz also originates from
this period of time. The early-Slavic Malinica can be interpreted as
“small Mell (rubble)”.
The region of the Mölltal was only scarcely settled until the heyday of
the settlement development in the Middle Ages. Also the Tauern transit
routes gained importance again and thus, it was again the geographical
position of Mallnitz at the transit route to the Gasteiner valley, which
contributed decisively to its development. Thanks to the “pack mule
traffic” the main part of the population in Mallnitz found a quite
profitable source of income additionally to agricultural work. The basis
for the pack mule traffic was mainly the transport of salt from the
salt works in the North to the South as well as later on the wine
transport and other goods to the North. The heavy carriages were
reloaded on horses and mules to transport the goods across the Tauern to
the nearby Gasteiner valley.
Only in 1909 the Tauern railway was opened and with the connection to
the international railway traffic the accessibility of Mallnitz was
essentially improved. This guaranteed an important basis also for the
development of tourism in Mallnitz. It is thus hardly surprising that in
Mallnitz the first Carinthian ski school was founded and in the end of
the 40s the first chairlift was built. Despite this early touristic use,
Mallnitz preserved its original charm and today as national park
municipality and mountaineering village focuses on sustainable tourism,
nature adventures and natural beauties which attracted visitors to
Mallnitz already 100 years ago.

 

ALPINE HISTORY

Already very early in time also mountaineers, mainly from the North of
Germany, discovered the wonderful world of mountains around Mallnitz.
The divisions of the German and Austrian Alpine Club then also built
their refuges and roads in the, until then, undeveloped mountain ranges
around Mallnitz. The names of huts recognise the commitment and the
strenuous work by the divisions, which mostly commit themselves since
more than hundred years in Mallnitz. The Hannover house was built back
in 1888, the other huts around Mallnitz were built during the first
years after the opening of the Tauern railway. Among the many mountain
tourists there was also Edmund Mojsisovics from Mojsvár, one of the
co-founders of the Alpine Club. Mojsisovics came to Mallnitz every year
as a tourist and later on retired there. The first summits around
Mallnitz were climbed long before the development of tourism in the
area. Back in 1762 the Ankogel (3,250 m) was climbed from the Anlauf
valley through the Bauern Patschg, which is considered the earliest
ascent of a three-thousander in the alpine area. The early alpine
development of this region culminated in the ascent of the Hochalmspitze
in 1859.

 

 

Other, interesting information (only in German) you will find on: https://www.mallnitz.gv.at/geschichte-mallnitz